MESA 2.0 is a suite of MEL Scripts to export and import 3d models for the Valve Source Engine with Autodesk Maya. This is the short name for Maya Exporter for Source Assets.
The objective of MESA, is to make the full asset creation process within Maya software interface.
MESA can export static, physics, breakable, dynamic and ragdoll models, and supported bodygroups , It become easy to use maya to export to the source engine the NPCs (Monsters and Humanoid), Vehicles, Weapons and Items for your game.
MESA is written in MEL scripts. Actually all the scripts are originally designed for maya 4.5 by Valve software. MESA is a revamp and an improved version of the old Valve exporter.
MESA includes modification that was applied by Prall in his exporter version.
MESA is compatible with all recent versions of Maya ( 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015/2016/2017 with x86 and x64 bits )
The new MESA Shelf :
- The Installation Guide
- The Export Guide
- Videos Tutorials
Games Branches List
Download MESA for MAYA
|Release Date||MESA Version||Download Link|
|04 nov 2015||MESA v2.1||Download on Gumroad|
|15 oct 2013||MESA V 2.01||Download|
|23 Apr 2013||MESA V 1.1||Download|
|17 Feb 2013||MESA V 1.01 beta||Download|
Change Log :
- SMD IMPORT : Compatibility with crowbar mdl decompiler
- SMD IMPORT : Rewrite of the ReadUntil function in use when you importing a SMD file in maya.
- SMD IMPORT :Import Reference, no longer force maya to create a new scene when importing an SMD file.
- SMD IMPORT : Mouse Cursor don’t flick anymore during the SMD importing process.
- CONFIG/INSTALL : Simplification of MESA_Config.bat file.
- SMD IMPORT (ref) : weight skin data greatly improved during the smd reference import in maya.
- SMD IMPORT (ref) : very small skin value are pruned at the import process.
- SMD IMPORT (seq) : don’t need anymore to rename the unknowdag1 object to “unknowdag”, let it with the default name, the smd sequence will stop to trhow you the error message about the missing unknowdag object.
- SMD EXPORT : bug with the compileQc() function that give a wrong path to studiomdl.exe
- SHELF TOOLs : BUG with the path to launch qcEye from the shelf
- SHELF TOOLs : BUG with the path to open the current model into hlmv
- COMPILE LOG : a printed information that bring confusion with a suspicious double quotation at the beginning of the path of studioMDL Compilation and VTEX.
- *SAMPLE ASSETs* : adding some samples ready to use with maya and to compile with your game projects.
This is a pre defined scene with a model place holder you can replace with your own character.
The model compile from maya with all animation/gestures/posture available(no flexes) for common humans npcs in source engine game ( hl2 especially)
How it works :
- Replace the template model by your model,
- you must to bind your character skin envelops to the existent skeleton, but don’t move the bones.
The model compile from maya, with all animation available for third person player models HLDM and HL2[link mini tutorial]
The model compile from maya, the template model use in that scene is the buggy of HL2.
But to use that vehicle into your mod, you must to create all the animation set required by buggy_shared.qci
Check out how it has been done in HL2. if you use the vehicle with you custom mod, you will probably need to edit the source code to precache the models.
Important : ( use scripts/jeep_test.txt with the buggy vehicles)
BUG Reported :
During the import of the buggy in maya, all the bones names has been automatically formatted(renamed) from “Rig_Buggy.Frame” to “Rig_Buggy_Frame” ( note : the DOT and the UNDERSCORE )
there is many edit i made into buggy_shared.qci file, to match all the changes.
Core Modification :
- The new environment System is now completely independent from the Source Sdk Environment variables.
- Maya.env files is no longer used to define the environment variables that MESA require to work.
- Mesa provides the project environment workspaces for 20 Games powered by the Source Engine.
- All paths can contains some whitespaces.
The installation has been greatly simplified. Read the
Note : working with multiple Source Engine projects is very easy, and you don’t need to jump from directory to another one, with windows explorer, just click on the shelf icon to open the Sources and/or the Game directory.
You just need to execute one batch file to modify all the environment variables for any other Source Engine Games or Mods, but you must to restart Maya for the modifications to take effect.
- MESA Shelf installation is automatically copied into the right location in c:/Users/documents/maya/prefs/shelves/”.
- MESA has been refine with a new User interface.
- VtfEdit integration.
- And some more